Each day, hundreds of New Yorkers turn to addiction recovery programs for help overcoming drug, alcohol or other substance abuse problems. If you have a loved one who is seeking treatment, you may have wondered how you can contribute to a successful, positive and rewarding experience.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse it is important for family members like yourself, and even addiction recovery patients to be familiar with the conditions that make treatment most successful. These include the following:
- Customization: Effective treatment programs will be customized to meet an individual’s needs outside of a narrow focus on his or her addiction alone. Other factors that have to be considered include the person’s age, gender, ethnicity, background and culture.
- Assessment: In order to accurately determine progress that is being made and areas where modifications could increase success, a treatment program has to be regularly assessed. You can contribute by offering encouragement and being an active participant in your love one’s recovery.
- Flexibility: Treatment is not a one-size-fits-all kind of deal. The process, results and overall outcome will all vary depending on the individual and his or her needs.
- Consistency: You can encourage your loved one to remain in treatment for a consistent period of time. Regular attendance and consistent effort will help to form healthy habits and set the stage for rebuilding self-confidence, self-control and self-reliance.
- Availability: You can help your loved one experience optimal success by ensuring that treatment is readily available and accessible whenever needed. Instant access, a solid support system and a reliable structure are invaluable to provide unrelenting encouragement and motivation.